11 April 2006

Movies

I just finished watching three fantastic movies. I was surprised, because nowadays when you rent that many movies, two are usually misses and the third is only alright. But all three of these were movies I would recommend to everyone.

The first one I watched was actually one Dennis had gotten from NetFlix. It was called Truly Madly Deeply. It starred Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson. It's about a man who dies and his wife who misses him so much that she brings him back. Then she realizes that she doesn't want a ghost controlling her life, and she wants to go on living. It was great. I ended up watching it only because I like Alan Rickman so much (he's been one of my favorite actors for awhile). But I was definetly impressed. I'd never heard of Juliet Stevenson before, but as soon as I saw her in the first minute of the movie I realized that she played Juliet's (Keira Knightly) mother in Bend It Like Beckham, one of my favorite movies. I'd give it an 9 out of 10.

The second movie I view was the new version of Pride and Prejudice. I've never seen the older one with Colin Firth in it (but god knows I want to) but this one was wonderful. I'd read somewhere that the actors had been miscast, but I can't for the life of me figure out where I'd read that piece of garbage. Every one was great in that movie. The imagery was really good to, and they didn't try to update it or make it stray from (what I read of) the original novel. Although I never finished reading the book, I already knew what was going to happen at the end for two reasons. One, it's Jane Austin, and love prevails; and two, because I'd seen Bride and Prejudice (from the same director of Bend It Like Beckham) and it's basically the same thing. I'd give that movie an 8 out of 10.

The third one I watched today (and just finished) was Elizabethtown. I'd wanted to see it when it was in theatre, but I never did. It was great. Despite his sometimes-not-so-great acting ability (which recently has been much better - Kingdom of Heaven was proof of that), I still very much like Orlando Bloom, and he was good in this. And his American accent was very good. It was believable. I live Cameron Crow's movies altogether though. I adored Almost Famous when it came out and I still only watch it on special occasions because I don't want to watch it too much and get sick of it. The soundtrack was good too, something else that's very evident in Almost Famous. I'd give it an 9 out of 10.

No comments: