24 December 2006

Shame on Diesel

I'm sure all of you have seen a Diesel clothing ad somewhere. Their latest is a new low for them. Sadly, I haven't been able to find it online anywhere, but I'll do my best to describe it.

It involves two unnaturally skinny models surrounded by parrots in the middle of a street (the street looks as if it's somewhere in the Middle East - although I'm not sure if it's just a set). In the lower right-hand corner of the ad there's a small box with contains the words "GLOBAL WARMING READY".

I've got a problem with this ad. Diesel is making light of a very serious problem. Global warming will never be taken seriously if stuff like this continues.

Most scientists now agree that we've got about ten years to make a difference. We can't fix what we've done, but we can slow it down and even stop it from growing. But without seriousness, the masses won't acknowledge that global warming is a major danger to our civilization.

1 comment:

Rich said...

The location of the image is Venice. I have to disagree with you, as I think that while it is provocative, it does not make light of the issue. It makes you think of the possible consequences of Global Warming...It represents a shocking future if we do nothing about the issue. And by presenting it in this way it is a bit more thought provoking and less of the dramatic and banging you over the head approach taken by some people.

The Diesel site talks about how you can make a difference to fight this issue. I think that it is brave and also good that Diesel are bringing attention to such an issue, especially the young generation.