15 December 2006

Just a few issues

In the December 2006 issue of Marie Claire, the magazine polled 600 of it's readers on some political issues. Since I've nothing better to do, here's what I think. Feel free to comment with how you feel for each issue.

How do you vote? Democrat, although I'm Green.

More than 78 million Americans didn't vote in 2004. If you could securely vote from home, would you be more likely to do so? Not at all. I always vote. Even in local elections. If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.

Legal immigrants in the U.S. pay taxes but can't vote. Should taxpayers have the right to vote, regardless of citizenship? Yes. If they pay taxes, they have a right to choose how they want the money spent. I'm obviously not in the majority on this question. 65% of the readers said no.

Would you vote for a female president? Yes. But only if she could do the job. I wouldn't vote for anyone just because they're a woman.

Does the U.S. have the right to determine whether other countries can develop nuclear weapons, considering we already have them ourselves? No. We're not the leader of the world.

Who pays for your health insurance? My dad. I'm 19 and getting ready to start college; I can't exactly afford it.

Electoral College or popular vote? I understand why there's an electoral college and the benefits, but it's always felt wrong to me.

Gay marriage - whose call? National. It's a human right.

Should the U.S. have a time line to withdraw from Iraq? Yes, but I'm not sure I trust them in keeping their promise.

No comments: